All About Stephanie McCann
Stephanie received her Masters of Physical Therapy degree from the University of British Columbia (UBC) and is currently starting to pursue her Orthopedic Levels in Manual therapy and has started her training in anatomical acupuncture. Stephanie pursued her Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology at Simon Fraser University for 3 years while competing for the Track and Field team and transferred to Azusa Pacific University and completed her bachelors’ degree in 2000.
A former Canadian Olympic Athlete and 3 time Bronze medalist at Commonwealth Games and Pan American Games, Stephanie retired from competitive sport in 2008 and found a new passion in promoting health and wellness through Pilates. She became a fully certified STOTT Pilates instructor in 2009 (Level II-Mat, Reformer, Cadillac, Chair and Barrels) and practiced throughout the Vancouver area for 5 years, focusing on improving her client’s core strength, helping them rehabilitate from various injuries and educating them on basic injury prevention.
Stephanie has been involved with coaching track and field for several years in California and will now combine her knowledge from 7 years on the National Team with her comprehensive Physiotherapy & Pilates background and training in Functional Movement Screening (FMS). She integrates her knowledge of human movement and training in functional movement screening to help clients suffering from a variety of neurological injuries all the way to those rehabilitating various sporting injuries.
Stephanie is passionate about improving her client’s overall functional ability and transferring the postures and exercises used in Pilates to improve their activities of daily living and overall mobility.
In her spare time Stephanie remains very active with running, cycling, swimming, hiking, yoga and of course pilates.
What You Don't Know
- Masters of Physical Therapy
University of British Columbia 2014
- BSc in Applied Health
Azusa Pacific University 2000
- BSc in Kinesiology
Simon Fraser University 1999 (transferred)
- Acupuncture Certification from CAFCI (2015)
- K-Taping ® Pro (2014)
- Mulligan Upper Level Course (2014)
- St. John’s First Aid and CPR (2012)
- FMS- Level 1 &2 (2011)
- NASM Cert. Personal Trainer (2003)
- BCRPA- Fitness Instructor (1998)
- 15 Day Bobath Course - Assessment and Turoreatment of Adults with Neurological Conditions (2017)
- Enrolled in Bobath Concept Basic course in November (2016)
- Orthopedic Manual therapy Level 2 Upper Extremity and Lower Extremity (2016)
- Human Movement Course through Bobath Concept (2016)
- Thoracic and Shoulder girdle rehab through STOTT Pilates with Melaine Beyford-Young (2016)
- Acupuncture designation - Certified by Acupuncture Foundation of Canada Institute CAFCI (2015)
- Core Align Certified Instructor Level 1, 2 & 3 (2011-2012) Balance Body Pilates
- STOTT Certified Mat, Reformer, Cadillac, Chair and Barrels Level 2 (2010)
- STOTT Certified Mat, Reformer, Cadillac, Chair and Barrels Level 1 (2009)
- Injuries and special population (2009)
- Stephanie suffered from Spinal Meningitis at the age of 18 months and was hospitalized for a period of time. Lost significant function and had to learn to walk and talk all over again.
- She was a ballet dancer for 9 years but chose to focus on sports once she reached high school age. She danced in the Nutcracker two years in a row at the Queen Elizabeth theatre for Pacific Northwest Ballet Company in the late 80's but has managed to find and destroy all public photographs of her in a tutu.
- Stephanie has lived in 3 different countries (UK, Canada and US)
- Stephanie has competed in 16 different countries and travelled to over 20 countries in the world.